It’s alive! It’s WORKING! There are an endless number of things to fiddle with, add, work on, refactor, and so forth. But it’s working and i’m very proud of what I’ve thrown together so quickly.

One of the philosophies of MyWiki is that it should be as simple and unobtrusive as possible, and in this case that means re-using software which has already been written wherever it’s feasible to do so. Therefore I have rebranded DokuWiki to MyWiki and we are secretly using DokuWiki although with a different theme. No, just kidding. But I did decide to use Markdown as our wiki format. I’ve extended it in a number of ways, for example we use a short link format. When a link appears which is not followed by parentheses (i.e. the ‘(‘ and ‘)’ characters) we think of it as a wiki “short link” for quickly linking to wiki articles — like this: [Article]. Also, we have a command markup with double curly braces {{like this}}. That’s for stuff like {{br}} for when you really want to have a <br> in Markdown (since we htmlentities the post prior to processing) or {{include: <link>}} for the inclusion of one page in another (read: templates).

This command structure was inspired by KirbyText. But just reading the newspaper, I could tell that Kirby’s use of regular brackets for commands was a foolish decision. I like the idea behind Markdown, how it doesn’t alter the intention behind regular text. But double curly brackets aren’t really used in regular text. On that note I should probably change the use of single square brackets to double square brackets.. The idea here is that a tagging or markup system would by necessity have to look kind of code-y to stay out of the way of regular text. Double curly brackets are basically perfect because they are never used anywhere in real life. Double square is another idea, but will probably be used for links. Double parentheses are an interesting choice as well and look kind of soft. We could always use both and see how it feels before settling on a standard.

Sensei’s Library uses %%double-percent%% for it’s macros. I’ve even seen combos {% like this %}.

So the idea from KirbyText is really to enable something like a language template (or other kinds of template)for a page. I.E. {{dictionary: japanese, kana: ひるごはん, kanji: 昼ご飯, gloss: lunch}} — this would then be displayed with a dictionary rendering function, but could also be very easily extracted from the wiki page by the dictionary robot for external use. This is essentially a JSON type object. You could format it like this:

I’m also considering allowing a CSS-like format where lines end in ‘;’. The point is that lines have a terminus, which would enable something like a Go board to be newline delimited:

So really this allows you to do anything. Exciting 🙂

In other news, I’ve enabled permanent logins. I just got sick of sessions timing out so we use cookies now to make logins permanent. Maybe we will have to put a “lock” or “away” feature in the user menu now. Until then you will need to log out when leaving your terminal.

By Serena

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *